Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Insights into Suffering

I didn't know what suffering was until the day I lost my baby.

Many of you didn't even know I was pregnant, and if this is the first time you're hearing about it, I'm sorry. It was a roller coaster. We found out on Halloween night, and before I could even make an announcement the doctor said the words "things don't look good for this pregnancy" at our very first appointment. The weeks that followed are a haze. I remember feeling embarrassed because I had to "untell" people I'd already told. The look of pity in their eyes made me sick. I didn't want their pity. I just wanted a baby. Then, I had to wait for the actual "passing of the tissue" which could happen at any moment. I kept thinking, what if I'm at work? I was more worried about saving face and keeping things private than the pain and emotional anguish that was inevitable. I was so naive.

At around 4:00 am one Saturday morning in December (the weekend before Christmas) I woke up to severe abdominal cramping. I was curled up on the floor near the bathroom when I brother came out to see what was going on. He rubbed my back and soothed me. I went back to bed to be close to my husband, Erich. I curled up in the fetal position for a while and cried quietly. The first few hours were defined by overwhelmingly painful contractions, much like labor pains I read later. Erich woke up with me and by around 7:00 am I began to hemorrhage. We both stayed home from work. He did his best to console me, but once I saw the blood I felt like I was losing my mind. I cried for my baby. I felt betrayed by my body. I felt helpless. I felt angry. I felt despair. I was in danger of being consumed by my own suffering.

Finally, Erich's loving presence and support helped guide me out of hysteria, but once I calmed down it was my job to bring peace to my body. The first thing I did was lie down in child's pose. When I found out I was pregnant I began to practice yoga almost daily (a goal I've had for over a year now). I also began eating better and loving my body more. As soon as I relaxed into the pose and began breathing I felt a wave of relief. It hit me like a ton of bricks, "I don't have to despair." Yes, my baby was leaving my body, and yes, it was painful and emotionally stressful, but those were things I could not control. Breath in. Breath out. Breath in. Breath out. This was something I could control. Of all our autonomic functions, our breathing alone is under our conscious control. The more I sunk into my breathing the more relaxed I felt. The despair and fear melted away.

Erich and I began discussing the loss in terms of acceptance. We shared that we both felt that the baby had decided it wasn't time. That little soul seemed to know that I needed something big in order to treat myself better. I stopped smoking, drinking and eating poorly. I spent time loving myself. I did these things for the baby, but when the baby was gone I kept doing it out of habit, and simply because it felt right. I wouldn't dare claim to know why the baby didn't develop properly, that is in God's hands. What I do know is that the experience had meaning for me and that I don't feel bitter or angry about it. I feel blessed. I learned what it means to suffer, but  I also learned what it means to grow and accept the unacceptable.

Thank you, little one for what you taught me. I hope to meet you someday in the future!

Here is an interesting article I received today (my inspiration for finally writing this long overdue post). I hope it moves you: Suffering is Optional

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad to see this post, not because of the content per se, but because it is a milestone. I know how you're doing because I live with you, but it's important for others to see this kind of personal message. People looking for solace after a miscarriage (or in preparation for...) might find this and gain some understanding and the knowledge that they're not alone. I think that's your task after all this: to somehow turn the loss of our baby into something others can learn and grow from. I'm lucky that you're so strong, and I admire your ability to find meaning and purpose in the midst of this ordeal.

    I love you.
    E

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing this, Kaycie. You are so strong and I appreciate your honesty. I echo what Erich mentoined, anyone looking for some sort of understanding in dealing with a miscarrage may find comfort in your words and your story. There is no need to hide or be embarrassed and you show that with your words here. Even though you felt embarrassed at some point, you understand the bigger picture and the purpose in this. I think about you, Erich and your baby quite a lot. I am so thankful you stopped smoking and drinking. Your body is too :) I can't wait to have the availability of more healthy options available to me. My diet is pretty simple right now and I look forward to being back home with loads of ingredients at my finger tips. I will be asking you for your best recipes! I love you and miss you.

    ReplyDelete